Improvements in rapid crack propagation (RCP) and slow crack growth resistance (SCG), with 10,000 hrs. of PENT are realized with WL Plastics’ higher performance PE4710 HDPE pipe. With increased density comes increased tensile strength, resulting in better resistance to hydrocarbon permeation and longer allowable horizontal direction drilling (HDD) pulls. WL Plastics’ high-performance PE4710 pipe meets all fusion requirements per DOT CFR49 Part 192 to all HDPE and MDPE gas distribution pipes and fittings.
All WL Plastics high-performance PE4710 pipe is manufactured and tested to ensure compliance with ASTM D2513, NSF Gas, CSA Z662, and DOT CFR49 Part 192.
Advantages of Using HDPE Pipe for Natural Gas Distribution
HDPE is the ideal natural gas pipe material for use in distribution systems for the following reasons:
- Leak-free joints. PE4710 pipe is joined using heat fusion technology, eliminating potential leak points. These fused joints are as strong as the pipe itself leading to long term, leak-free operation with little-to-no maintenance.
- Extended strength and service life. PE4710 pipe demonstrates higher tensile strength than PE2708 pipe. This higher tensile strength, combined with its superior durability, enables PE4710 pipe to have higher pressure ratings, longer HDD pull lengths, and a longer design life than other piping materials.
- Excellent durability. PE4710 pipe resists damage and degradation from a variety of operating and environmental conditions. PE4710 pipe exhibits resistance to many chemicals and solvents, including those commonly found in the natural gas distribution system. WL Plastics yellow stripe PE4710 pipe offers class leading UV resistance allowing long term storage in the most demanding environments.
- Light material weight. PE4710 pipe weighs less than alternative materials, including PE2708 pipe rated for the same pressure class (e.g., a 1-inch IPS SDR 11 pipe that is 500 feet in length weighs only 97.5 pounds). As a result, it is safer to handle, easier to load, transport, and position, which further reduces installation costs.
- Long laying lengths. PE4710 pipe is available in a variety of standard coil lengths, all of which offer long, uninterrupted distribution systems. This design allows for greater ground coverage without the need for additional joints, significantly reducing the potential for leakage, cost of materials, equipment, and labor needed for installation.
HDPE Natural Gas Pipe From WL Plastics
At WL Plastics, we are the ideal supplier of high-quality HDPE piping for natural gas distribution systems. We are equipped with over two decades of experience manufacturing HDPE pipe, dedicated customer service, and 8 manufacturing facilities strategically located throughout the United States, all of which are ISO 9001:2015 certified. Learn more about our selection of HDPE pipe for natural gas distribution:
- WL102G – Natural Gas Pipe Sizes & Ratings
- WL 129 – Material & Gas Distribution Sizes
- WL122 – WL Plastics PE4710 Performance
- WL123 – High Performance PE4710
WL Plastics natural gas distribution pipe offerings are available in the below configurations. WL Plastics’ manufactures all natural gas distribution products to strict quality standards ensuring our customers benefit from all the advantages PE4710 pipe offers. Key features include:
- Bimodal PE4710 composition
- Sizing from 3/4 inches to 24 inches (IPS and CTS)
- In-line wall monitoring capabilities on production lines
- Barcoding capabilities on production lines to meet ASTM F2897
- Full tracking and traceability of products
- Yellow stripe
To learn more about our HDPE natural gas piping and how it can benefit your natural gas distribution system, contact us today.