Natural Gas Distribution Solution with HDPE Piping
WL Plastics specializes in the manufacture of polyethylene pipe, both medium density polyethylene (MDPE) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE), for natural gas distribution systems. MDPE PE2708 natural gas pipe has been the standard for natural gas distribution, propane, and liquid petroleum gas systems since the 1960’s. This solid yellow pipe is a proven solution for low pressure systems operating under 125 psi. WL Plastics PE2708 MDPE pipe is available in ½’’ – 1.25’’ CTS and ½” – 4’’ IPS sizes and UV protected for outdoor storage up to 3 years per ASTM D2513.
While MDPE natural gas pipe is a proven solution, HDPE pipe is the future and the ideal piping solution for your natural gas system. High-performance PE4710 is a superior option as it offers weight and cost savings because of its higher Hydrostatic Design Basis (HDB) which results in a higher pressure rating, increased flow capacity, higher tensile strength and improved long-term performance without compromising the traditional MDPE PE2708 pipe benefits of flexibility, leak-free heat fusion joints, chemical resistance, and ease of installation.
Improvements in rapid crack propagation (RCP) and slow crack growth resistance (SCG), with 10,000 hrs. of PENT are realized with WL Plastics’ higher performance PE4710 HDPE pipe. With increased density comes increased tensile strength, resulting in better resistance to hydrocarbon permeation and longer allowable horizontal direction drilling (HDD) pulls. WL Plastics’ high-performance polyethylene gas pipe meets all fusion requirements per DOT CFR49 Part 192 to all HDPE and MDPE gas distribution pipes and fittings. WL Plastics’ high performance PE4710 pipe is available in black with a yellow stripe.
All WL Plastics PE2708 and high-performance PE4710 pipe is manufactured and tested to ensure compliance with ASTM D2513, NSF Gas, CSA Z662, and DOT CFR49 Part 192.
Advantages of Using Polyethylene Pipe for Natural Gas Distribution
HDPE is the ideal natural gas pipe material for use in distribution systems for the following reasons:
- Leak-free joints. PE4710/PE2708 pipe is joined using heat fusion technology, eliminating potential leak points. These fused joints are as strong as the pipe itself leading to long term, leak-free operation with little-to-no maintenance.
- Extended strength and service life. PE4710 pipe demonstrates higher tensile strength than PE2708 pipe. This higher tensile strength, combined with its superior durability, enables PE4710 pipe to have higher pressure ratings, longer HDD pull lengths, and a longer design life than other piping materials.
- Excellent durability. PE4710/PE2708 pipe resists damage and degradation from a variety of operating and environmental conditions. PE4710/PE2708 pipe exhibits resistance to many chemicals and solvents, including those commonly found in the natural gas distribution system. WL Plastics PE4710/PE2708 pipe meets ASTM D2513 UV resistance requirements for pipe storage in the most demanding environments.
- Light material weight. PE4710 pipe weighs less than alternative materials. As a result, it is safer to handle, easier to load, transport, and position, which further reduces installation costs.
- Long laying lengths. PE4710/PE2708 pipe is available in a variety of standard coil lengths, all of which offer long, uninterrupted distribution systems. This design allows for greater ground coverage without the need for additional joints, significantly reducing the potential for leakage, cost of materials, equipment, and labor needed for installation.
Natural Gas Pipe From WL Plastics
At WL Plastics, we are the ideal supplier of high-quality MDPE and HDPE piping for natural gas distribution systems. We are equipped with over two decades of experience manufacturing polyethylene pipe, dedicated customer service, and 9 manufacturing facilities strategically located throughout the United States, all of which are ISO 9001:2015 certified. Learn more about our selection of HDPE pipe for natural gas distribution:
- WL102G – HDPE Natural Gas Pipe Sizes & Ratings
- WL 129 – Material & Gas Distribution Sizes PE4710
- WL 129M – Material & Gas Distribution Sizes PE2708
- WL122 – WL Plastics PE4710 Performance
- WL123 – High Performance PE4710
WL Plastics natural gas distribution pipe offerings are available in the below configurations. WL Plastics’ manufactures all natural gas distribution products to strict quality standards ensuring our customers benefit from all the advantages polyethylene pipe offers. Key features include:
- Unimodal PE2708 or Bimodal PE4710 composition
- HDPE sizing from ½ inches to 24 inches (IPS and CTS)
- MDPE sizing for ½ inches to 1.25 inches (CTS) and ½ inches to 4 inches (IPS)
- In-line wall monitoring capabilities on production lines
- Barcoding capabilities on production lines to meet ASTM F2897
- No regrind (NR) on gas distribution products per ASTM D2513
- CSA B137.4 listing for PE2708 products (1/2’’-1’’ CTS, ¾’’-2’’ IPS)
- Full tracking and traceability of products
- Solid Yellow (MDPE) or Yellow stripe (HDPE)
To learn more about our polyethylene natural gas piping and how it can benefit your natural gas distribution system, contact us today.