Bimodal PE4710 also has better rapid crack propagation (RCP) resistance and slow crack growth resistance (SCG) than unimodal PE2708. Because PE4710 is denser than PE2708, it has increased tensile strength, resulting in better resistance to hydrocarbon permeation and longer allowable horizontal direction drilling (HDD) pulls. WL Plastics’ high-performance PE4710 pipe is available in black with a yellow stripe in sizes ½ CTS through 24 IPS. PE4710 pipe is UV protected for outdoor storage for up to 10 years.
ADVANTAGES OF USING POLYETHYLENE PIPE FOR NATURAL GAS DISTRIBUTION
Polyethylene is the ideal natural gas pipe material for use in distribution systems for the following reasons:
- Leak-free joints. PE4710/PE2708 pipe is joined using heat fusion technology, eliminating potential leak points. These fused joints are as strong as the pipe itself leading to long-term, leak-free operation with little-to-no maintenance.
- Extended strength and service life. PE4710 pipe demonstrates higher tensile strength than PE2708 pipe. This higher tensile strength, combined with its superior durability, enables PE4710 pipe to have higher pressure ratings, longer HDD pull lengths, and a longer design life than other piping materials.
- Excellent durability. PE4710/PE2708 pipe resists damage and degradation from a variety of operating and environmental conditions. PE4710/PE2708 pipe exhibits resistance to many chemicals and solvents, including those commonly found in the natural gas distribution system. WL Plastics PE4710/PE2708 pipe meets ASTM D2513 UV resistance requirements for pipe storage in the most demanding environments.
- Light material weight. PE4710/PE2708 pipe weighs less than alternative metallic materials. As a result, it is safer to handle and easier to load, transport, and position, which further reduces installation costs.
- Long laying lengths. PE4710/PE2708 pipe is available in a variety of standard coil lengths, all of which offer long, uninterrupted distribution systems. This design allows for greater ground coverage without the need for additional joints, significantly reducing the potential for leakage, the cost of materials, equipment, and labor needed for installation.
NATURAL GAS PIPE FROM WL PLASTICS
To learn more about our polyethylene natural gas piping and how it can benefit your natural gas distribution system, contact us today or view our natural gas distribution documents at the links below.